Rule of Thumb Guide to Garrison Building Priorities
This was going to be a big fuck-off guide to which Garrison buildings and followers to go after, complete with introductions to a ton of concepts. But Warlords comes out in half an hour, and my friends are waiting for my recommendations, so instead here is the ultra-condensed version, which I may or may not expand upon sometime next week. (Work is slightly crazy for me right now.)
Priority Ranking for Small (Profession) Buildings
You get a total of 3 small buildings.
- If you don’t have any friends whose enchanting workshop you can bum off of, build the enchanting workshop. (If you’re the guild’s enchanter, take one for the team! CoughBlanketcough.)
- If you have alchemy and a source of herbs (or are level 96+), build the alchemy workshop.
- If you have jewelcrafting, build the jewelcrafting workshop.
- If you are are a tailor or a blacksmith, build that workshop.
- If you have both leatherworking and a source of skins, build the tannery.
- If you’re gearing this toon for raiding, build the salvage yard. (Available at lvl 96). You get your second plot around level 91, and don’t get your third plot until level 100, so if you reach this point in the list for your first or second workshop, just leave your second plot open.
- If you’re an engineer, build the engineering shop.
- If you have inscription and a source of herbs (or are level 96+), build the inscription workshop.
- If you wear cloth or plate, build that workshop.
- If you wear leather or mail and have a source of skins, build the tannery.
- If you’re a hunter, build the engineering shop.
- If you regularly use staves and have a source of herbs (or are level 96+), build the inscription shop.
- Build the enchanting workshop.
Incidentally, that “bumming off of” for the enchanting workshop? That’s the enchanter’s cauldron. It lets you disenchant gear even if you’re not an enchanter, which means save your BoP gear for disenchanting. Yes, guests to your garrison can use it, I tested it in beta.
Priority List for Medium (Resource) Buildings
You get a total of 2 medium buildings.
- If you are in need of a source of skins or meats, build the Barn.
- If you focus on PVP, build the Gladiator’s Sanctum.
- If you are in need of additional raw resources and the economy on your server makes purchasing them on the auction house prohibitively expensive, build the trading post.
- If you have or are planning to have a war mill (see Large Buildings), build the lumber mill.
- Build the Barn.
- Build the Lumber Mill.
Priority List for Large (Perk) Buildings
You get a total of 2 large buildings. The Barracks is the only one available at first.
- If you’re gearing this toon for PVE, build the Barracks.
- If you’re gearing this toon for PVE, build the War Mill.
- If you are a miner and/or a non-druid herbalist, build the Stables.
- Otherwise, build whatever.
Drop Everything And…
As soon as you hit level 92, head back to your Garrison and unlock the Mine. You don’t need mining to mine in your garrison! After mining it out, buy the Mine level 2 plans from the Blueprints Vendor (Rezlak, for Horde) and upgrade it.
As soon as you hit level 96, head back to your Garrison and unlock the Farm. You don’t need herbalism to gather plants in your garrison! After gathering all the herbs, buy the Farm level 2 plans and upgrade it.
Then take the breadcrumb quest to Spires of Arak until you get to Axefall. The quest to unlock the Salvage Yard should become available at this point. (It’s called Pinchwhistle Gearworks). Go do it.
Some garrison buildings can have followers assigned to them, once the building is rank 2. I strongly recommend assigning followers ASAP, and keeping them assigned permanently – not pulling them off for missions. Assigned followers double the output of work orders, and since even unassisted work orders produce 2/3 of your total BoP reagents per day, that’s a big deal.
You can find a comprehensive guide to followers at WoWHead.
NOTE: An unfinished table of followers with professions was accidentally published here a second ago. It will return evenutally, probably in a new post.